Have you heard of the Thai Herbal Compress Massage?
Thai Herbal Compress Body Massage is a relatively unfamiliar therapy, mostly used in Asian countries. It is a heat body therapy that is more superior than commonly used hot stone massage therapy or the hot lava shell treatment. Even though this type of therapy was initially common in Thailand, it is now gaining root in other places around the world. However, most people still know very little about this type of therapy. This means that most of its benefits are yet to be exploited fully. So, before you even think of getting this treatment, it is important that you understand what it is all about.
Thai Compress Massage has been around since ancient times in Thailand and is still performed regularly by Herbalists and Thai Massage Practitioners. It is a combination of Traditional Thai Massage - passive yoga-like stretching, acupressure and reflex points, with the soothing moist heat of the warm herbal bundles. The Thai Stems (herbal bundles) are steamed to help release the natural essential oils from the dried herbs and provide a deep, moist heat to relieve tension in the muscular and skeletal systems.
When the herbal bundles are used on the body, the medicinal qualities of the plants are absorbed through the skin, infusing the treated areas with their therapeutic properties.
You can choose to receive your Hot Herbal Compress Massage either on the Thai mat or on a massage table. When performed on the Thai mat the hot herbal compresses are used in combination with Traditional Thai Massage techniques over top of clothes. When done on a massage table the herbal bundles are used directly on the skin with oil and a combination of Swedish massage techniques with an influence from Thai Massage. In this method the client is properly draped at all times, only exposing the area being worked on.
This type of therapuetic massage focuses on improving overall health and well being by:
1. Stimulating the Sen energy lines located throughout our bodies, similar to the concepts of Ayurvedic medicine or the meridians in acupuncture.
2. Deep muscular release through acupressure and passive stretching. Restoring mobility, increasing flexibility and relaxing tight muscles.
3. Stimulates organ function and calms the nervous system by working reflex points with gentle pressure and compression.
4. The moist heat helps to relieve aches and pain of the muscular and skeletal systems, and helps melt away stress.
5. The herbal bundles contain a blend of traditional Thai herbs that have a relaxing and invigorating effect on the body and mind. The properties of the herbs and natural essential oils released from the bundle are beneficial through physical contact with the skin, and the scent throughout the room.
There are many recipes that can be used to form the Thai stems (herbal compresses). The therapy that is used in most treatments are comprised of zingiber ( a "cousin" to ginger), turmeric, kaffir lime peel and leaves, lemongrass, patchouli, sweet flag, mountain ebony leaves and camphor, along with a few other lesser known herbs.
Thai Herbal Compress treatment have properties, most of which are known to be highly anti-inflammatory. These herbs also possess enough antiseptics, astringents and antioxidants that help the body to fight a wide range of health complications. So on top of relaxing, you will be able to boost your immunity. For example, your body will be able to deal with conditions such as sprains, sore muscles, injuries and more. Most of these Thai herbs also treat conditions such as asthma, common cold, and bronchitis. Another added bonus of integrating the herbal bundles into your session is their wonderful aroma